Behavioral Health Systems, Inc. (BHS) was formed in 1989 as a privately held corporation headquartered in Birmingham, AL. Its ownership reflects the founding efforts of Deborah L. Stephens, its Chairman and CEO, with the support of private individuals representing business and industry. BHS created and administers a national preferred provider organization (PPO) of behavioral health-related hospitals, physicians and professionals through which BHS administers the mental health/substance abuse (MHSA) and employee assistance program (EAP) benefits on behalf of employers nationwide. BHS employees oversee the care provided through this network and process all claims between the employer-client and BHS providers.
Since inception, Deborah and the BHS executive team recognized the need to offer a full range of complementary behavioral health-related products and services. Therefore, programs such as Safety First® (drug testing administration), Behavioral Comp Management® (psychiatric workers comp), Behavioral Rx Management® and Wellness First were developed.
Over its 28+ years of operation, BHS has achieved certain benchmarks of growth and success to the benefit of our investors and clients. These include:
- A 92% employer-client retention rate since inception (1989);
- Superior client cost savings (20-50% avg.) at 50-70% below national cost averages;
- A 96% patient satisfaction rate since 1994, with our measurement system cited as superior to our national peers;
- An industry rank of 16th largest in the nation (Open Minds);
- The sole endorsement of three regional business coalitions (1991- present);
- The highly successful and complementary product line, Safety First® has quadrupled in sales growth since 2002;
- Growth to 50+ employees (Birmingham headquarters) and establishment of three regional offices (Cleveland, OH; Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA);
- An (open) preferred provider organization model (17,000+ providers) which ensures maximum freedom of choice;
- An excellent reputation in the industry which continues to generate substantial publicity and attention;
- A diversified revenue base (48 states/500+ clients);
- A staff turnover rate averaging less than 3% per year since inception.