As the daffodils begin poking through the soil, we are reminded that Spring is around the corner. The changing of the seasons is nature’s subtle reminder that change can be a good thing and that time moves on without our consent. As we prepare for the next season, it is a great time to consider setting some personal goals for your life. Now is the time to dream.
As humans, we all have dreams. We all think about and plan for the future. What are your dreams and what does your future look like?
By taking time to think about your future, you can chart a path to accomplish the steps required to get you there. Like any journey, you need a few things:
- Begin with the End in Mind. Where do your dreams take you? Does it have to do with your personal life, your work life, or both? Does it have to do with the legacy that you will leave? Any good journey begins with a destination in mind. It is only by having an endpoint that you can chart your course.
- Chart Your Course. Once you have your destination in mind, you must plot your course. Will you use the fastest-route-possible, GPS approach? Or will you take the scenic route and enjoy the journey? Where you are in life can affect this greatly.
- Don’t Go It Alone. Any great adventure is better when you have friends along for the journey. Good friends not only enhance the experience, but can guide us back onto the path when we get distracted or lose motivation.
- Stick to the Path. While some divergences can be fun and interesting, it is important to keep your destination in mind and stick to the course. Even the smallest changes in course could put your destination out of reach.
- Plan for Setbacks. Even the best laid plans can get off-track at times. Do not let setbacks discourage you. Pick yourself up and get back on the path.
- Celebrate Your Accomplishments. When you finally achieve your dreams and arrive at your destination, take some time to celebrate that arrival. Thank those who have been helpful along the way. Most importantly, plan your next adventure. Never stop dreaming!“
All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.” Walt Disney